Table of Contents
It’s no secret that drug and alcohol addiction, as well as social media addiction, are among the main reasons for divorce today. However, video game addiction is a relatively new kind of addiction that is fast becoming one of the main reasons for unsuccessful marriages. How video games ruin relationships? Let’s dive deep with BestLifeTips.
Can video games ruin relationships?
If one partner gets addicted to gaming, it may have a negative influence on the marriage or relationship, just like any other mental health issue or addiction. When it comes to getting away from the stresses of everyday life, an increasing number of individuals are turning to the internet. In the same way that some individuals turn to drugs. There’s never a shortage of entertainment, conversation, or information on the internet. Another way that people use the internet for is video gaming.
According to a survey, 75% of gamers’ wives want their half would spend less time playing video games and more time focusing on their marriage.
In addition, violent video games have been found to enhance the gamer’s actual aggressiveness. When you mix a lack of time for their loved one(s), curse words, and increased aggressiveness, you have a mixture that has all the markings of an abusive relationship, even if there is no real violence.
Why do video games ruin relationships?
As previously stated, the immersive nature of online video games causes players to be unable to attend to their significant other’s psychological, and occasionally physical, needs. In fact, research on the causes of divorce discovered that 15% of spouses who identify unreasonable conduct as the cause for their desire to leave the marriage thought that their partners prioritized gaming over them and the relationship.
Here’re several reasons video games ruin relationships.
- They’d rather play video games than spend time with you, themselves, or their work.
- They will frequently play late into the night, sacrificing their sleep. Sex and late-night conversations are frequently out of the question.
- They don’t like to talk about their moods or emotions.
- They refuse to acknowledge the existence of a problem.
- They repeatedly fail to follow through on their commitment to spend more time with you.
- When you bring up the subject of their gaming addiction, they accuse you of not understanding.
- They are unwilling to consider counseling for their gaming addiction.
What to do if video games ruin relationships
If you are concerned about your partner’s gaming behavior, keep the following points in mind.
- Don’t argue with your partner about whether or not their gaming habit is an addiction. Instead, stick to the facts as you’ve experienced them: your sense of desertion, your dissatisfaction with the relationship, and your lack of a sex life together.
- You have no influence on your partner’s actions. The only thing you have control over is your reaction. Maintain a low-key and matter-of-fact demeanor in your reactions.
- Speak your mind. Today, we all exist in two worlds at the same time: the actual world and the internet world. Tell your lover that you can’t handle your relationship on your own in this world. Tell them you can’t — and will not — do it alone.
- Don’t try to make him suffer by ignoring him playing that video game. This move makes the situation even worse because your relationship will gradually lack of communication. You should have a serious talk about this before things get out of control.
- Make it clearer that you are more important to him than his video game. There’s nothing wrong to ask your partner to spend more time with you. Quality time together is crucial in a relationship, which makes it long lasting. Once you feel being ignored, less important or no more special, let him know that you want to talk.
- Let’s get over it together. If you both care about the relationship and want to take action to solve the problem, suggest to him 2 options. The first one is about cutting back the hours on playing video game and spending more quality time together. The second one, in case your partner finds it too hard to change his behavior, you might need to ask for professional help.
- The last thing to do in this situation when you’ve tried all above methods is to consider leaving the relationship. Let him know that you do whatever you can to save the relationship and how much it’s meant to you, but you can’t stay in a relationship that drains your energy day by day.
Video games ruin relationships quotes
- Video games are a waste of time for men with nothing else to do. Real brains don’t do that.-Ray Bradbury.
- By shifting your focus to the princess and treating your life’s challenges like video games, you can trick your brain and actually learn more and see more success.-Mark Rober.
- Video games ruin relationships and if you spend all your time playing video games don’t ask why you ‘re single.-Unknown.
- Life is short. Don’t miss opportunities to spend time with the people you love.-Unknown.
- A woman can always tell if a man loves her by how much time he’s willing to invest. Meny spent is meaningless, but time spent is priceless.-Tony A. Gaskins Jr.
- Spend your time on those who love you unconditionally. Don’t waste it on those who only love you when the conditions are right for them.-Unknown.
- Without quality time, your relationship will not survive.-Unknown.
- If someone truly loves you, they won’t make you feel like you need to constantly fight for their attention.-Unknown.
- No matter how long you’ve been with them, there’s no excuse for a lack of attention.-Unknown.
- The best gift you could ever give someone is your time because you’re giving them that you’ll never get back.-Unknown.
- Check These 12 Signs Of A Good Girlfriend To See If You Are A Good One
- How Do You Know If They Also Miss You? 8 Secret Signs When Someone Is Thinking About You That You Never Knew
- 9 Common Reasons Why People Get Stuck In Sexless Marriage And Affairs
Don’t get jealous about video game but make it clear with your partner about how video games ruin relationships and look for a solution. Like and share this article if you find it helpful, return BestLifeTips often for more relationship tips.