Table of Contents
Do you want to know if your interview is getting worse? Are you curious about how to change the interview atmosphere and make it better? Needless to worry, BestLifeTips is here to show you how to tell if an interview went bad and interesting ways to prevent it.
How to tell if an interview went bad via body language
One of the easiest ways to realize whether an interview is truly going well is to notice the body language of the interviewer. If they have negative body language, an interview is gonna be bad.
Some of the negativity you might get from the interviewers if an interview went bad
- The employer seems less interested and engaged
- The employer seems distracted and low-energy
- The employer yawns during the interview
- The employer sits with their arms crossed
- The employer doesn’t make eye contact with you
- The employer is easily distracted outside
- The employer seems hurried throughout the interview, especially at the end
These body language can be a signal from the interviewer to you and will probably affect your mood during the interview. So once you notice they’re doing these things, think about what you’ll have to do next to make the interview less boring.
Besides body language, how to tell if an interview went bad via other signs?
How to tell if an interview went bad via language signs
To tell if an interview went bad, you can also notice these language signs of hiring managers or interviewers.
- The recruiter always interrupted the flow of conversation
- The recruiter moves on to another matter when you are talking
- The recruiter takes a lot of time to ask the next question
- The recruiter always contradicted your answer
- The recruiter doesn’t ask about your skills or potentials
- The recruiter seems not eager to respond to questions asked by you
How to tell if an interview went bad via the atmosphere
So now, you know clearly how to tell if an interview went bad both via body language and language signs. So, how to tell if an interview went bad via the atmosphere?
A silent atmosphere that makes you uncomfortable, an atmosphere that makes you uncomfortable, and an awkward atmosphere between you and the interviewer are signs of a bad interview. Therefore, once the atmosphere of the interview is in trouble, you should actively stir it up, perhaps with a polite joke, or ask the interviewer some things related to the position or company.
How to tell if an interview went bad via the attitude of the interviewer
According to Christina Garidi, a career & purpose coach and chief eudaimonic officer, you can notice the attitude of the recruiter to know if an interview went bad or not.
How to tell if an interview went bad via the attitude of the interviewer?
- The interviewer or hiring manager didn’t talk much about your future prospects at the company
- The interviewer or hiring manager didn’t ask about your availability or discuss the next steps
- The interviewer or hiring manager asked questions that seemed out-of-place
- The interviewer or hiring manager keeps silent throughout the interview
- The interviewer or hiring manager only asks questions and doesn’t share anything
- The interviewer or hiring manager keeps a scowl
- The interviewer or hiring manager interrupts your words even though you haven’t finished speaking
- The interviewer or hiring manager has an aggressive attitude
- The interviewer or hiring manager has no appreciation or smile given
Signs video interview went bad
Due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, most of the interviews were held online. Video interviews have become very popular around the world, so, how to tell if an interview went bad? Let’s go through these most common signs.
- The interview was cut short for no reason
- The interviewer seems uncomfortable
- The interviewer turns off their camera for no reason
- The interviewer seems less interested and engaged
- The recruiter always interrupted your words
- The interviewer doesn’t pay attention to the screen
- The interviewer didn’t prepare well for the connection
- Your connection is not stable
- The interview lacked a connection
- The interviewer doesn’t have engaging body language
Signs phone interview went bad
Besides video interview, phone interview is also common in case the recruiter and you are in a long-distance. So, how to tell if an interview went bad?
- The recruiter has an impatient tone of voice and reads the question quickly
- The recruiter always interrupted the flow of conversation
- The recruiter only asks questions and doesn’t share anything
- There were no questions about your availability
- The recruiter seems distracted
- The recruiter quickly ended the interview without asking if you had any questions
What should I do during a bad interview?
Once you are in a bad interview, the following tips may help you. Read on!
- Try your best to answer questions. Give short but fully answer which you’ve prepared
- Show your confidence
- Keep your voice loud, clear, and full of energy
- Get on the same side as the interview and recruiter to think and give answers
- Make your selling points clear
- Allow yourself to feel disappointed after the bad interview
- You may actively go with a polite joke
- Ask the interviewer some things related to the position or company
Why an interview went bad?
After getting how to tell if an interview went bad, you should focus on the reason.
The most common reason for an interview went bad is that you didn’t prepare well for the interview.
- Do not understand the job you applied for
- Do not know well about the company
- Unprepared for the most basic questions
- You don’t dress properly
- You have a non-cooperative or respectful attitude towards the recruiter
- Do not ask any questions to the recruiter at the end of the session
What should be avoided during an interview?
Before asking how to tell if an interview went bad. You should recall whether you have done any of the following or not
Here are 10 things to absolutely avoid in an interview:
- Going in without any research
- Turning up late
- Fidgeting with your mobile phone and other distractions
- Lying at the interview and on your CV
- Dressing inappropriately (even in a video interview)
- Unclear answers and rambling (You should give clear examples)
- Speaking negatively about current or past employers
- Discussing too much about money or time off
- Using offensive language or gestures and swearing
- Using negative body language
How to have a successful interview?
We’re sure that you absolutely don’t want an interview went bad. Therefore, let’s embrace these 5 steps to make your interview become successful!
Step 1: Prepare carefully for your interview
- Gather full information about the position and company
- Prepare some basic questions (e.g. your introduction, your strengths, your weaknesses, etc.)
- Prepare copies of your transcripts, educational certificates, and professional qualifications
- Prepare a pen, a paper for taking note
Step 2: Dress for Success
Your appearance says a lot about you. So, to make the best first impression at the recruiter, be clean, nicely dressed, and well-groomed.
Step 3: Practice makes perfect
Try a mock interview a few days before your interview. You can ask a friend or family member to give their feedback.
How do I know if my job interview went well?
- The hiring manager has communicated with you after the interview
- The hiring manager gets into the specifics of the job with you
- The hiring manager properly responds to your follow up
- The hiring manager has a positive response from the interviewer
- The hiring manager asks questions about the interest in the job
- The hiring manager asks when can you join here if hired
- The hiring manager discuss the salary
- The hiring manager set the interview going on for more than 30 minutes
- The hiring manager mentions potential advancements within the company
- The hiring manager tries to get you excited about the role and the company
- The hiring manager seemed energized
- You answered many questions regarding your previous experience and skills
- The interviewer seemed like a conversation instead of an interrogation
- How to keep dog from digging under chain link fence
- How to fix overheating laptop without taking it apart
- 12 interesting things you should know about blue moon beer
Through the article, BestLifeTips hopes you know more about how to tell if an interview went bad. Don’t forget to follow BestLifeTips to see more interesting topics. Please share this article if you find it interesting.