Table of Contents
Leather couch is a type of furniture that many families love thanks to the classy look it gives. However, nothing lasts forever. The classy look you adore will, someday, be shattered by an out-of-nowhere big hole. So, how to fix large hole in leather couch? Let’s find out now with BestLifepTips.
What causes large hole in leather couch?
- Dogs might be the reason: Sometimes, you can’t always keep an eye on your hyperactive dog. As a result, you find yourself frightened looking at the sofa full of dog bites.
- Children: Children are always curious and care-free. They love to explore and experiment. They might want to know what’s inside your leather couch. It will soon end up with tiny to big tears on.
- Heat sources: Cigarette ashes could be an example. Or maybe your leather sofa is exposed to the sunlight or placed near the fireplace.
- Too much weight or pressure: If there are more people sitting on the leather couch than there’s supposed to be, even this top-of-the-line fabric can’t handle.
- You’ve used this couch long enough: leather couch lasts around 15-20 years. So if you’ve used it long enough, consider a new one.
No matter what causes the problem, there’s always at least one way to resolve it. Without further ado, let’s jump right into how to fix large hole in leather couch!
How to sew large hole in leather couch
Tools needed to sew large hole in leather couch
In order to fix large hole in leather couch by sewing, you will need these following tools
- Big needle
- Polyester or nylon thread of the same color
- Sub-patch having same color as the leather couch
- Leather color
- Leather adhesive
For leather color and leather adhesive, you can buy them separately or buy the whole leather couch repair kit.
Steps to sew large hole in leather couch
If the leather sofa is bitten off by your dog, first cleanse the affected area with a mixture of water and vinegar to remove the dog’s saliva. Wipe it off with a soft clean cloth. Then, follow the instruction below.
- Use a big and strong needle and thread of the same color to sew the tear.
- Top the stitches with a sub-patch using leather glue.
- Paint the patch using leather color. Try to blend the color evenly and adequately.
How to fix large hole in leather couch with leather filler
Tools needed to stick sub-patch in leather couch with leather filler
- Leather filler
- Sharp scissors
- Hair dryer
- Sub-patch having same color
- A piece of cloth
- Leather protector
- Leather color
Steps to stick sub-patch in leather couch with leather filler
Now with all the tools ready in your hand, follow the process on how to fix large hole in leather couch with leather filler suggested below
- Cut the edges of the hole to smooth out the uneven ones. Remove the stuffing or foam exposed outside the leather.
- Apply a layer of leather filler on the inside of the tear.
- Blow dry it using a hair dryer.
- Apply another layer on top of the previous one, especially the torn edges, to enhance the stickiness.
- Press firmly the sub-patch onto the hole. Leave it sit for 1 hour or more to let the glue dry completely.
- Dip one corner of the cloth to the leather protector, rub it over the sub-patch and let it dry for one hour at least 1 hour.
- Soak the cloth in leather color and wipe all over the sub-patch as well as the couch so that it doesn’t look patchy.
How to fix large hole in faux leather couch
Another method on how to fix a large hole in leather couch, but this time, we’re talking about faux leather one.
Tools needed to fix large hole in faux leather couch
- Sub-patch of similar color
- Rubbing alcohol
- Leather conditioner
- Leather color
- Repair compound
Steps to fix large hole in faux leather couch
- Clean the area around the tear using rubbing alcohol
- Apply leather conditioner around the hole and wait for 24 hours being continuing the process
- Use a circular sub-patch bigger than the whole and place it on the underside of the hole
- Apply repair compound to part of the sub-patch that touches the leather fabric. Wait for 15 minutes until it dries. You can use a hairdryer to make it faster.
- Slightly smooth the area out with alcohol.
- Wipe the couch with leather color to even out the color.
Contact professional service to fix large hole in leather couch
In case you’re not confident enough to repair hole in leather couch yourself, reach out to professional service in your locality to tackle the problem. It costs around $100-$400 on average depending on the severity of the damaged sofa.
- See more: Forget about your wrinkled T-shirt. Here’s how you can put your polyester in the dryer like a pro
Above are some tips on how to fix large hole in leather couch. BestLifeTips hopes you find them helpful. Don’t forget to give us a thumbs up and leave a comment down below if you have any other good ideas to share with us!