Table of Contents
Can’t figure out how to eat rice with chopsticks? Check out this article with BestLifeTips. This has all the tips you need to know about using chopsticks.
Is it proper to eat rice with chopsticks?
Is rice supposed to be eaten with chopsticks?
Not only the Chinese cultural norm but also other Asian ones are to eat rice with chopsticks. It seems quite weird with you, but it’s vastly familiar in Asian countries. The fact is that they eat rice with chopsticks on a daily basis with many functions.
While using chopsticks is a smart way to get around the loose grain problem, it would also be very convenient to switch constantly back and forth alongside eating.
Is it rude to eat rice with chopsticks in Korea?
In Korea, things changed, and how to eat rice with chopsticks is no longer a novel question. You will look a bit like a weirdo if you eat rice with chopsticks, but it’s not a major faux pas.
This could be because Koreans also tend to use chopsticks for eating rice recently, but Korean soldiers almost always eat rice with spoons. However, it’s considered rude if you hold the bowl and push the rice into your mouth with chopsticks.
Source: Live Japan
Why do Asians eat with chopsticks?
For anyone that has ever had difficulty with how to eat rice with chopsticks, you may have wondered why Asian would choose this particular utensil for consuming such food with.
Looking at Asia tightly, the majority of rice here is either a short or medium grain variety, often with starches that are particularly gummy or clumpy. Hence, it sticks together and is quite easily picked up by chopsticks.
In comparison, many Westerners eat long grain rice, which is much fluffier and the individual grains are more distinct. So, it’s difficult to find how to eat with chopsticks in Western.
According to a study by scientists from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Clinical Nutrition Research Center (CNRC) conducted with Singapore residents, there are many residents who use chopsticks.
The results were published in the Journal of Physiology & Behavior, which shows surprises. The way of eating with chopsticks helps people to avoid many diseases than eating with a knife, spoon, fork or eating out.
Most speciality is the glycemic index when eating starchy foods. Their blood sugar was surprisingly low compared to those who ate with a fork and snack.
Meanwhile, previous studies at CNRC showed that low blood sugar helps eliminate the risk of type 2 diabetes as well as is strongly associated with chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease.
How to hold chopsticks to eat rice
Is there a wrong way to hold chopsticks?
Generally, holding the spoon in the same hand as your chopsticks seems quite a wrong feat and impolite despite in any chopsticks-used countries.
Which hand do you hold chopsticks with?
You can use whichever side you are forehand. Nowadays, left-handed people no longer use chopsticks in their right hands. It’s perfectly normal to be left-handed in Japan.
In some nations, that it’s rude to do so still persists to an extent, though. Especially, in many parts of the world, the left hand is not considered proper.
If you’re left-handed and visiting places like India, Nepal and the Middle East, you may have to pretend to be ambidextrous, but it’s incredibly rude to eat or pick anything up with your left.
How far up should you hold chopsticks?
Hold your hand right around the top third of the chopsticks. After, just keep your non-dominant hand to steady the chopsticks as you adjust the placement of your dominant hand.
However, if you are familiar with this means, adjust by simple tips that the chopstick on top is moved up and down by your pointer and middle fingers while the thumb is used to support the process from the other side.
What does holding your chopsticks say about you?
Chopsticks can mirror how you are feeling and what you are thinking, and you can know these things with someone. If holding chopsticks says a lot, it’s really important to know how to eat rice with chopsticks.
If someone waves their chopsticks in your face more closely, the warmer they are thinking of you. For example, they offer you a piece to bite at the morsel of food at the end of their chopsticks. It’s romantic regardless of how to eat rice with chopsticks.
In other negative cases, if someone holds their chopsticks on a plane lower than the chopsticks tips, this shows that the person might hide something. If their hands are at an angle, it means that they are confused or challenging you.
That said, knowing how to eat rice with chopsticks is extremely meaningful.
How to use chopsticks to eat
There are 5 steps for using a pair of chopsticks to eat easier for beginner:
- Step 1: Place the first chopstick between the pointer finger and thumb and then balance it on the ring finger.
- Step 2: Also place the latter between the pointer finger and thumb and then rest it on the middle finger.
- Step 3: Use your thumb, pointer and middle fingers to grasp the second one firmly.
- Step 4: Use index and middle fingers to do the lifting.
- Step 5: Use index and middle fingers to close chopsticks over rice or any food.
For your convenience, you can also watch these videos of a very best YouTuber – LeesRandomVids. They show you how to hold chopsticks properly and how to eat rice with chopsticks in both hands.
For right hand
For left hand
How to eat rice with chopsticks by basic etiquette
Here’s a list of some of the general DOs and DON’Ts for the next time you’re feasting with chopsticks, according to a prominent daily online publication, the Houston Press.
- Do identify how to eat rice with chopsticks for yourself and use it to place the food into your individual bowl or plate first.
- Do decide what to pick up before you reach chopsticks on the shared plate.
- Do place chopsticks horizontally on top of your individual bowl or plate when not in use.
- Do lay down your chopsticks to the right of your plate or on the chopsticks rest next to you when you are taking a break.
- Don’t pick only what you want through looking for and putting food back once you have picked it up.
- Don’t wave your chopsticks around or use them to gesture or point at anyone or anything.
- Don’t stick your chopsticks straight into the rice or your food because this is reminiscent of placing incense at the altar during a funeral.
- Don’t cross chopsticks over bowls and plates. This could be because it’s taboo, as it is a symbol of death.
- Don’t suck on the tip of your chopsticks by your teeth or lips.
- Don’t use your chopsticks to pierce pieces of food to eat. This is an extremely rude gesture in the form of how to eat rice with chopsticks.
- Don’t pass food to another person, chopstick to chopstick. It doesn’t express sharing anymore.
How to eat rice with chopsticks methods
This clump method may be suitable for eating sticky rice. You can obviously use it for rice that is clumped together. The more tightly clumped rice together, the less possibility you drop grains of rice.
For how to eat rice with chopsticks by this method, just need to use chopsticks step by step simply below:
- Step 1: Pick up your pair of chopsticks and hold them sideways between your thumb and your index finger. Keep the end of your index finger a bit tightly to hold firm.
- Step 2: Open your chopsticks a bit to grasp some rice.
This method is also a very common way of how to eat rice with chopsticks. Do it by these following steps:
- Step 1: Lift your bowl of rice up in front of your face, near your mouth.
- Step 2: Use your set of chopsticks to transfer the rice into your mouth.
This method is appropriate for how to eat rice with chopsticks if the rice is not prepared sticky.
However, it is impolite in some cultures, so in many formal situations such as a business meeting, it’s rude to use this method by driving rice directly from the bowl into your mouth.
Not only that, you can drop some grains of rice on the table leading to some very awkward situations.
How to eat rice with chopsticks in Korea
For how to eat rice with chopsticks like a Korean, it would be best if you hold your spoon and chopsticks in different hands.
Also, keep your chopsticks on top of the bowl or beside the bowl on the table instead to avoid a faux pas. The fact is that there will be a small glass or ceramic item for you to rest your chopsticks on.
Moreover, in Korean, it’s advisable to put your utensils back on the table once you’re finished with your meal to indicate that you’re done, or also leave them on top of their plates or inside the empty bowl.
- Basic steps for you to eat noodles with chopsticks like a pro
- Eating A Hamburger With Dentures Doesn’t Have To Be Hard. Read These Tips
Do you have any curious dining experiences you would like to share with us? By the way, for more tells about tips besides how to eat rice with chopsticks, please check out other articles of BestLifeTips soon.