Table of Contents
Aside from the 16 personality types, the Enneagram is also a helpful tool for personal development, counseling, and building your most important relationships. So what is Enneagram type 6? And what should we know about Enneagram type 6 romantic relationships? Let’s figure it out with BestLifeTips in this article.
What is the Enneagram?
The Enneagram is a system of personality typing that describes patterns in how people interpret the world and manage their emotions. While it has become popular within spirituality and business disciplines, there has been limited research on its use and it is not widely accepted in the field of evidence-based psychology.
The name Enneagram comes from the Greek. Ennea is the Greek word for nine, and gram means something that is drawn or written.
The Ennneagram presents nine different personality types. Beyond the basic nine personality types, the system grows more complex and includes 27 different subtypes as well as three key centers focused on action, feeling, and thinking.
The Enneagram accurately and clearly describes why you think, feel and behave in particular ways based upon your core fears and core desires.
Find out your Enneagram personality type here: Free Test
What is the Enneagram type 6?
Type Sixes are defined by their desired for safety and security. They are alert and vigilant, always thinking several steps ahead to anticipate and prepare for what could go wrong. When healthy, they have faith, are courageous, loyal, and effective. When struggling, they are cowardly, hyper-vigilant, and paranoid.
Core fear: Feeling fear itself; being without support, security, or guidance; being blamed, targeted, alone, or physically abandoned.
Core desire: Having guidance, security and support.
Core weakness: Anxiety. They are always trying to predict and prevent negative outcomes; remaining in a constant state of apprehension and worry.
Core motivation: Enneagram type 6 is motivated by their need for safety and security. They seek support and reassurance from other people, and are extremely loyal to people that they trust.
Key personality traits of Enneagram type 6
- Have strong identification with a social group
- Organized and well-liked
- Good at managing finances
- An excellent team player
- Belongs to a tight-knit group of friends
- Clear communicators
- Detail-oriented and precise
Core values of Enneagram type 6
- Security, commitment and a sense of connectedness with the group are what drive their actions.
- They value those who can reassure them of their importance and connection.
- Trust is the most important value for people of this type. Knowing someone has their back is extraordinarily comforting.
- They seek peace within themselves. Through trial and error, they slowly build trust and confidence over time to tackle any situation effectively.
Enneagram type 6 romantic relationships
Enneagram type 6 in love is extremely committed and loyal to their partner. When they truly care for someone, they want to go above and beyond to be supportive of them and their practical needs. People of this type are tend to try to solve problems for those closest to them. They care about loyalty and value standing up for the ones they love and commit themselves to.
When Sixes are in love, they might not be the most stereotypical romantic type, but they will go above and beyond for this person. They will fight for this relationship even when things are difficult. They are likely to stand by their partner even when it seems like they should give up and move on. They are reliable when it comes to their loved ones, and will always be there when they are in need.
The type 6 personality is giving and loyal, but they aren’t always the most emotional people. Trying their best to be prepared for everything and valuing security so much can make it difficult in their relationships at times. When they are dealing with a lot of stress in their lives, the type 6 individual can definitely have a harder time coping with their trust issues.
What people of the Enneagram type 6 want from love:
- A respectful and listening person through tough times
- Solid support that can be counted on 24/7
- Optimism and an infectious sense of positivity
- A great sense of humor
- Being present and together
Good advice for people who are in a romantic relationship with a type 6:
- Do not do anything untrustworthy; things that seem like you don’t trust your Six or are not satisfied with them. Sixes are an emotional realness type, so the emotion can get very real and intense if they are afraid that your relationship is on the cliff.
- Do not dismiss their fear. When they feel unheard and unvalued, they will have more fears in their relationship.
- Build them up. Sixes are hard workers and great servants. They don’t need praise, but everybody likes affirmation. When you two are out with friends or visiting family, mention something your Six did recently and praise them.
Enneagram type 6 in marriage
Many people of this type are looking for stability, so institution of marriage can be a safe place for them. Getting to the place of commitment can be difficult for some Sixes, because they don’t truly trust the advice of anyone, including themselves. So, it feels scary to make such a huge decision. For the Six, this may be a real leap of faith.
Once in a committed relationship, people of the Enneagram type 6 will hold on for dear life. That is a great thing in the sense of reliability, as the divorce rate suggests that many people take their marriage vows far too lightly.
On the other hand, this can also cause the Sixes to stay in a toxic situation for a too long. They hate and fear the idea of being betrayed, so they surely don’t want to do that to another person. No matter how unhealthy the relationship may get, the Sixes may be so invested in remaining loyal to the other person that leaving feels impossible.
It can be tough to talk about relationships with a Six in general terms since they can act in fearful or courageous.
Here are all you should know about the Enneagram type 6 romantic relationships. If you are in a romantic relationship with an Enneagram type 6, you should notice their personality and accept their weaknesses so that you will have a strong relationship. Once they determine you as their partner, they will be totally loyal to you. Come back to BestLifeTips to get more interesting information.