Table of Contents
If you are planning to become a delivery driver and wondering do delivery drivers make good money, this article is for you. Join BestLifeTips to learn more about this job.
Is delivery driver a good career?
Yes, delivery driver is totally a good career. Delivery drivers can interact with a wide range of people in different neighbourhoods. Their working hours can be flexible. This helps the delivery drivers to have a work-life balance.
What do delivery drivers do?
Before getting to know do delivery drivers make good money, follow BestLifeTips to learn about what do delivery drivers do? What are their duties and responsibilities?
A delivery driver is a transportation professional who delivers items well over short or long distances. A delivery service driver picks up, transports, and drops off packages within a small region or urban area. For the most part, they transport merchandise from a distribution centre to businesses and households. They have to make sure the customer’s products arrive at their destination at an arranged time and in good condition.
Depending on the job, a delivery driver may be responsible for anything from supplies, to packages, to food, anything that can be delivered by vehicle. They may travel locally or long distances, requiring time away from home.
Duties of a delivery driver
Here are some duties for a delivery driver:
- Inspect vehicle prior to departure.
- Report any malfunction or repairs.
- Verify a list of packages to deliver.
- Pack, load and unload items onto and from the vehicle
- Make sure all packages are loaded onto the vehicle.
- Verify addresses and routes.
- Drive vehicle while adhering to traffic laws and regulations.
- Deliver packages and collecting signed receipts.
- Return packages to sender when delivery is unsuccessful.
- Keep records of all deliveries and returns.
- Report all emergencies and accidents.
Requirements for a delivery driver
There are some requirements for a delivery driver that you should know:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent certification.
- Valid driver’s license.
- A clean driving record with no moving violations.
- Proficient at driving and parking large vehicles.
- Physically fit and strong, be able to lift 25 pounds comfortably.
- Experience using hand trucks, pallet jacks and forklifts.
- Professional and pleasant disposition, be able to give all clients a positive customer service experience.
- Dependable, hardworking and an effective communicator.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills required.
So, do delivery drivers make good money? Keep reading to find out!
Do delivery drivers make good money?
Delivery drivers make a wide range of incomes. Their income to vary greatly depending on the tips and deliveries per hour. Some delivery drivers, such as food and beverage or parcel drivers, may make a larger hourly wage but no tips.
Delivery driver salaries also vary widely from company to company. Delivery drivers may work either part-time or full-time schedules. Some may receive higher wages when working holidays or late nights.
According to Indeed, here is how much a delivery driver makes:
- Common salary in the U.S.: $16.836 per hour
- Some salaries range from $7.25 to $31.40 per hour.
How much do pizza delivery drivers make?
Pizza delivery drivers earn an average of $21,690 a year, or $10.43 per hour. However, there is a significant variation in driver earnings for delivering pizza depending on the state where they live, the population density and the average income of the particular state’s population.
For example, states with a higher population density have more pizza ordering per hour, affecting positively drivers’ salaries. Aside from that, pizza shops located in regions with better incomes will charge more for delivery. As a result, delivery drivers will earn more money.
Pizza delivery drivers working at Pizza Hut earn an average of $15.66 per hour; at Papa John’s Pizza are $12.53 per hour. At Domino’s Pizza, they get $14.72 per hour.
How old do you have to be to work as a delivery driver?
The minimum age to work as a delivery driver depends on different kinds of delivery driver. For example, most pizza delivery jobs require job candidates to be 16 years old. But most employers will only accept those applicants that are 18 years old and over. Other age requirements may apply depending on the job and the duties involved. For instance, a delivery driver must be at least 21 and older for alcohol deliveries.
How to become a delivery driver?
Delivery drivers generally have a high school diploma and go through a few months of training. They must have a driver’s license for the state or province where they work.
New drivers have to take classroom training to learn the company policies about package drop offs, returns, taking payment, and what to do with damaged goods. Delivery drivers often interact with customers and should make a good impression to ensure repeat business.
The delivery driver has to observe their surroundings while driving. They have to be able to speak English well enough to read road signs, prepare reports, and communicate with the pubic and law enforcement officials.
In short, to become a delivery driver, there are a few things you should do:
- Graduate with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a current, clean driver’s license.
- Become licensed to drive other types of vehicles, such as a Class A, B or C Commercial Driver’s License.
- Develop soft skills, including time management and communication skills.
- How much does a Kindergarten Teacher make
- How much do Private Investigators make
- How long does a DUI stay on your record in California
Delivery driver is a good career and it’s not hard to become one. Hope that this article of BestLifeTips can help you solve the question of do delivery drivers make good money. Come back to us for more information.